Martha Stewart’s Canadian Bacon Strata
My sister made this Martha Stewart recipe for Mother’s day. Canadian Bacon Strata.
- Butter, softened (for pan)
- 4 English muffins, split, toasted, and cut in half
- 1/2 pound sliced (about 10 slices) Canadian bacon, halved
- 1 1/4 cups shredded (5 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
Butter a 2-quart shallow baking dish (oval or square); set aside. In dish, alternately arrange, cut side down, muffin halves and Canadian bacon. Sprinkle with cheddar and Parmesan cheeses. Set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper, and hot sauce until combined. Pour over muffins and bacon; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet; remove plastic wrap. Bake until puffed and set in the center (see note below), about 1 hour and 30 minutes. (Tent loosely with foil if strata starts to brown too quickly.) Let stand 10 minutes before cutting and serving.